God blessed us Monday with a WONDERFUL visit with my grandma...she has had dementia for years and has moved into Alzheimer's...she is in the final stages. My mom has been sharing with us about her visits and they are pretty short and that Memaw has just been not that responsive and just gazes with a small smile on her face...so that was my expectation going to visit her on Monday.
To my surprise, God gave me a blessing that day. I walked into her room (it fairly dark and quiet), I sat down on her bed, called her name and she looked straight up at me, we connected eyes and she started to smile...when I said, "hi" she puckered up her lips for a kiss...I felt that she knew me...or at least she knew I was someone she felt safe with.

She had this permanent smile on her face the whole 1.5 hour visit...I got her to laugh, she teared up a few times and you could tell her mind was singing along with our bible songs and bible verses as she nodded her head and closed her eyes...she was taking it all in...so beautiful!
Kate sat up next to her and drew her a picture of Memaw in bed and kate visiting her...she also drew memaw's neck pillow b.c she always has it each time we visit...so sweet. I love this picture b/c Memaw was a beautiful artist and I sat right beside her many times to have my picture drawn...and now here is my little girl drawing a picture of this beautiful woman in our lives!
Calla drew pictures too, but I loved watching her hold Memaw's hand and sing her songs...look at Memaw's smile...it is priceless!

This woman means more to me than anyone will ever know...I thank God that I get to be apart of her life and call her my Memaw. She is so full of the Holy Spirit that even at 92 years old and her mind deteriorating she brings such joy to us all!
No comments:
Post a Comment